Riding a bicycle is not an easy task for everyone. And when it’s come about the comfort zone of riding, the first thought you will get about which quality of handlebars should need to use. As we are talking about the good quality of trekking bars, butterfly handlebars are one of them.
In this article, you have a chance to know about the benefits of butterfly handlebars: best trekking bars for bicycle touring. So let’s see the comparing perspective of features whether we can call it as the best one!
What are butterfly handlebars?
Butterfly handlebars also referred to as trekking bars are the most popular bar for bicycle touring. The design of the butterfly handlebar is quite lavishing but yet it has a great efficiency on long rides. Despite having its multiple and flexible hand positions, it has various great advantages too.
Why butterfly bars?
The reason behind why you need to choose butterfly bars rather than others are given below-
- Its body upright position.
- It has good posture.
- Flexible and convenient hand positions.
- When you use it you can easily spread your arms.
- Depends on your hand positions you can change the riding position also.
- Comparing to the other bars you can buy it at an affordable cost.
- It has a very wide grip and great sustainability so that you can control it on rough surfaces.
What type of handlebars should I use?
There are major types of bicycle handlebars around the world. But only a few handlebars can be considered as the best one due to its flexibility, convenience, durability. However, every handlebar has its pros and cons. Therefore, we will look at all the different types of handlebars in brief so that you can choose your own decision!
1. Drop Handlebars for bicycle touring
This kind of handlebars is used as a classic touring bike. Good ability to use in bike touring, going downhill or pedaling into a headwind especially on gravel roads gives more balance and stability during the ride.
Pros and Cons for Drop handlebars
- Various hand positions
- Great grip system.
- Unstable while riding on rough roads.
- The curved piece of metal lacks durability.
2. Straight Handlebars for bicycle touring
These handlebars are usually used on mountain bikes along with study end bars. It helps to steep in the uphill climb. Those who are looking for a low key and low maintenance then this handlebar is best for them.
Pros and cons for Straight handlebars
- Perfect for cycling on rough roads.
- Provides great stability on cycling.
- Indestructible quality of handlebar.
- Great upright riding position.
- Lacks various hand positions.
- May cause irritation on your hand.
- Difficulty to go through a headwind.
3. Butterfly handlebars for bicycle touring
Butterfly handlebars are most commonly known as trekking bars which are seen on European Touring bikes. This is quite popular among all kinds of people because anyone can build their expedition bicycle.
Pros and cons for butterfly handlebars for bike touring
- Equips with semi-stable shelf space to place items
- Great shape of a bar with different hand positions.
- Gives comfortable during the ride.
- These handlebars look so cool.
Better for shifters due to flat bars.
- Great tendency of flexing.
- Frequent levels of usage can break the curved metal.
- Heavier than the most handlebars.
How to choose the best quality butterfly handlebar
As you have seen all the pros and cons of different types of handlebars now it’s time to choose the best quality of butterfly handlebar. The best quality completely depends on the metal quality, color, handler camp diameter and so forth. We will look forward to everything step-by-step-
Metal Quality- The handling quality must be based on stainless steel and you have to check whether it is compatible enough with all-weather or whether it gives all the best performance on different road conditions.
Color- Black is always the best and color for all bikes. However, the printed coated color is much long-lasting.
Handlebar Damp diameter- To choose a good handlebar the diameter range should be around 25mm to 26mm 31mm to 32mm and it also depends on a comfortable grip.
Sponge Quality- The sponge comes out with the diameter and the handlebar is coating with that sponge. Hence, it depends on whether you are comfortable with your driving.
The Curve of the Handlebar- The handle should come with a nice curve to grip especially the middle position so that you can take a gentle ride with easy turn.
Suitability- Must go through with the manual with product descriptions before choosing the handlebar. If you do so, you will almost ensure the suitability of your bike’s handlebar.
Maintenance cost- It has lesser maintenance cost than other handlebars but it depends on the handlebar management and also the grip’s durability.
1. Is it possible to put roadside handlebars on a mountain bike?
No it is not possible to put a roadside handlebar because it is shaped like a straight bar.
2. What will be wide for handlebars to use?
It depends on the width equal to your shoulder.
3. Instead of butterfly handlebars are there any other types of handlebars?
Yes. These are- flat bars, drop bars, cruiser bars and so forth.
4. Is wider handlebar better to move?
There are many handlebars you may find in the market. However, since riding depends on your comfort zone then it’s you must choose the right handlebar for your bike. In this article, we tried to give you the best advice about choosing the right trekking bars.
If you can choose a less expensive handlebar for your bike but you should also keep in mind that an unexpected accident can cause a lot. So think before you choose. Happy riding!!!
Last Updated on August 19, 2020 by David P. Lopez